Sunday, September 23, 2012

Teaching Experience


Teaching Experience
               On August 9, 2012 I received the best news of my life!  I was asked to come in for an interview for a leave replacement position at St. Agnes Cathedral School in Rockville Centre.  After the interview I was told that I got the job!  I was ecstatic to say the least.  Here I am, twenty-two years old after just graduating in May from the Molloy Education Program and I got an amazing job.  It was a dream come true!  When I started working the first week of September it was very overwhelming.  I am the computer room teacher and I teach first grade all the way up to eight grade.  I even go into the kindergarten classrooms and teach them as well.  I believe that technology is very important to use in the schools to teach students.  Technology has come a long way and it will only get more advance therefore, we need to start students with technology early on.  I was so surprised at how many students all have their own ipads at home and know so much about it at such a young age.  After a few days little by little everything started falling into place and it all quickly became a routine.  I have great colleagues who I can go to for advice and who I can collaborate with for assignments.  Everyone in the school couldn't be nicer and more helpful to me.  I am truly grateful for this amazing opportunity.       

Vocabulary:
Replacement- Substitute
Ecstatic- Happy, excited
Overwhelming- Stressful
Technology- Inventions, machines, easier way of life through science
Colleagues- Co-workers
Collaborate- Wok with others

Vocabulary Cloze Exercise: Put the correct vocabulary words in the blank.
1. When Kelly got an A+ on her science project she became _______________. 
2. Working full time and being a full time student can get a bit _______________________ at times.
3. The Outback Steak house __________________ are all going out to the movies on Friday night.
4. When you work in a school it is very important that you ___________________with your co-workers.
5.  The first grade teacher was absent so the school had to hire a ________________teacher for the day.
6. _________________makes our everyday lives easier.

Grammar Point: This passage has many verbs in the past tense.  List those verbs and any other words that indicate the past tense such as, asked and so on.
 Grammar Exercise:  Write a paragraph explaining your best life experience.  Be sure to use past tense verbs and any vocabulary words.   

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! That is extremely exciting. It is almost impossible to get a teaching job these days. I completely agree with you on the fact that technology is vital. Working in a high school, I see how the kids are constantly immersed in their cell phones and social networks. I am always looking for new ways to include technology into my classroom (other than the SmartBoard). Maybe I can ask you for some suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The job is great news!I am sure you are doing well. Your entry includes all the necessary components.

    ReplyDelete