Saturday, November 24, 2012

Black Friday!


Black Friday
            
          So every year I tell myself I will not be involved in the Black Friday shopping mess, yet every year I find myself waiting on the ridiculously long lines with handful of gifts in my hands.  I love to shop like most women however; I tend to enjoy shopping more when I am not looking for anything in particular.  It is times like that when I seem to buy numerous amounts of things.  Every time I go in search for something I am looking for I never seem to come out with a single item!  I went Black Friday shopping for the past few years and even though I get excited about the days leading up to it I still catch myself asking “why” while I am standing in line for hours.  People take this shopping day way too serious.  Like last year at the Green Acres Mall, a man died because he got trampled on when they opened the doors to the store and the crowds bombard the store.  This not what the holiday season is about.  It is not about getting gifts and getting every item on your wish list.  It is about spending time with your family and friends.  It is about giving gifts to others especially those who do not have a lot.  It is not about getting gifts in return of giving gifts.  I believe the stores are wrong for opening at 8 pm on Thanksgiving Day because it makes people rush through family time to go shopping.  If the stores would wait until at least midnight, like some stores do, then at least people could spend quality time with their family and friends.  Overall, the holiday shopping season is here and it is stressful however, we always seem to make the best of it each year.    

Vocabulary:
Ridiculously- unreasonable and not acceptable
Particular- one out of several      
Numerous- many
Trampled- to cause damage or injury
Bombard- to attack, to hit somebody

Vocabulary Cloze Exercise: Put the correct vocabulary words in the blank.
1. There was one __________ item Sam was shopping for at Best Buys and they did not carry it.
2. The kids were excited to go into the jungle gym that they all _____________ the birthday
    decorations.
3. During Black Friday shopping the lines are ______________ long.
4. There are __________ activities that can be done with students around the holiday time that
    are not only fun, but educational as well.
5. When the kids heard there was going to be free candy they ___________ the line.
                                                                                                               
Grammar Point:  This passage has many verbs in the present tense.  List those verbs and any other words that indicate the present tense.

Grammar Exercise:  Write a paragraph explaining how you feel about Black Friday shopping or shopping in general.  Be sure to use present tense verbs and any vocabulary words.   
              

No comments:

Post a Comment